postoffice thumb100 Sowetan reports that 228 workers who were dismissed by the SA Post Office Group (Sapo) are planning to embark on a protest action to demand their reinstatement.  

The workers were fired for embarking on an alleged illegal strike at Sapo’s headquarters in Centurion in June.  They say their march will take place next week.  The action in June was organised by the Influential Information and Communication Union of SA (IICUSA), which has a partial recognition status, to raise concerns about the parastatal’s decision to suspend its secretary general Gibson Ramoadi.  IICUSA spokesman Tutu Mokoena on Wednesday indicated that, while some of the workers had been dismissed, others had been given letters of suspension.  Mokoena said it was unfair for Sapo to dismiss some workers, while others received warning letters.  Sapo HR executive Anthea Seafield said those who returned to work after notice of possible dismissal was given and who provided reasons for their actions were given final written warnings.  Those who returned to work but refused to give reasons for their actions and those who failed to return to work were fired.


Get other news reports at the SA Labour News home page