sabcBDLive reports that the SA Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) on Sunday said it would not abide by last week’s ruling of the Independent Communications Authority of SA (Icasa) to lift its ban on broadcasting footage of violent protests.  

Instead, it will approach the courts to have Icasa’s decision reviewed.  "We submitted our response to Icasa on Friday, and we made it clear that we want the decision reviewed," SABC spokesman Kaizer Kganyago said on Sunday.  He indicated that the broadcaster still had to decide when to approach the courts.  The SABC’s decision not to broadcast footage of violent protests has been at the heart of a crisis gripping the organisation in recent weeks.  Eight SABC journalists have been suspended in connection with the matter and are facing disciplinary action.


Get other news reports at the SA Labour News home page