solidariteitNews24 reports that judgment in the case of the four SA Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) journalists who were fired last week will be handed down in the Labour Court Cape Town on Tuesday, trade union Solidarity said on Monday.  

Indicating that it would very difficult to move his union’s whole operation in respect of the case to Cape Town, Solidarity CE Dirk Hermann said:  "We will now liaise to get a venue [in Gauteng] so that we can gather at 09:45 tomorrow for a livestream of the judgment, and then together with all the applicants have a briefing."  The four journalists have asked the court to set aside their dismissals and for their disciplinary processes be entirely revoked.  Reporter Vuyo Mvoku filed papers in the High Court in Johannesburg on Friday, asking for an order that the SABC's decision not to "schedule" him constituted a breach of contract.  All eight of the journalists who were recently dismissed have applied for direct access to the Constitutional Court.


Get other news reports at the SA Labour News home page