news shutterstockIn our Thursday roundup, see summaries
of our selection of South African labour-
related stories that have appeared since
midday on Wednesday, 24 August 2016.


MINING LABOUR

Families of trapped Lily Mine trio and survivors await cash promised by mines minister

Pretoria News reports that questions regarding the compensation of victims of the Vantage Goldfields Lily Mine collapse and their families remain unanswered more than six months after the tragedy.

Read more...

Ex-AngloGold employee claims illegal termination of employment for medical incapacitation

The Citizen reports that a former AngloGold Ashanti mineworker has accused the company of illegally terminating his employment and claiming he was medically incapacitated, despite advice from doctors to the contrary.

Read more...

Section 52 of MPRDA a ticking time bomb in respect of mine layoffs, say lawyers

Mining Weekly reports that a session on retrenchments on Wednesday at the twenty-ninth Labour Law Conference in Johannesburg heard that Section 52 of the Mineral and Petroleum Resources Development Act (MPRDA) was a ticking time bomb.

Read more...


INDUSTRIAL ACTION / STRIKES / LOCK-OUTS

Amcu members at Sasol down tools over wage increases

Business Report writes that close to 1,600 workers in Secunda, Mpumalanga, downed tools on Thursday after the Association of Mineworkers and Construction Union (Amcu) could not come to a wage agreement with Sasol.

Read more...

Robertson Winery at standstill as workers go on wage strike

GroundUp reports that workers at Robertson Winery went on a protected strike on Wednesday, calling on the winery to pay them R8,500 a month (which amounts to a 57% average increase).

Read more...

Telkom, CWU in strike resolution stalemate

The New Age reports that talks between telecoms company Telkom and the Communication Workers Union (CWU) on the strike that has entered its fourth week have hit a stalemate, both sides said on Wednesday.

Read more...

CWU accuses ‘fleeing’ Mantashe of arrogance for not meeting with them over Telkom

The Citizen reports that the Communication Workers Union (CWU) has accused ANC general-secretary Gwede Mantashe of being arrogant.  The accusation come in the context of a strike by CWU members employed at Telkom.

Read more...


UNION STRUCTURES / UNION ORGANISATIONAL REPORTS

Fawu resolves to quit Cosatu

IOL News reports that the Food and Allied Workers Union (Fawu) has resolved to leave Cosatu after six of seven provinces present at its national congress explained their members wanted nothing to do with the labour federation.

Read more...


LABOUR MARKET / JOBS

Only product, labour market reforms will boost SA jobs, says SARB’s Kganyago

Fin24 reports that the Annual Labour Law Conference heard on Wednesday that solutions for SA’s abnormally high unemployment rate would not come from rising commodity prices, a rebound in global growth or fiscal policies.

Read more...

Other internet posting(s) in this news category

  • Corruption hampers job creation, says Public Protector, at Business Report


OUTSOURCING / INSOURCING / TEMPORARY EMPLOYMENT

OutsourcingMustFall movement threatens to shut down Gauteng for a day

Pretoria News reports that members of the #OutsourcingMustFall movement have accused tertiary institutions, the City of Tshwane and other institutions of reneging on certain agreements regarding outsourced workers.

Read more...


YOUTH EMPLOYMENT

Firms keen on youth employment tax incentive

Times Live reports that take-up of the employment tax incentive (ETI), which expires at the end of the year, has been far greater than the national Treasury expected.

Read more...


RESTRUCTURING / RETRENCHMENTS / COMPANY JOB LOSSES

Job cuts hit Dimension Data

ITWeb reports that IT services company Dimension Data (DD) has quietly retrenched some of its employees, with a source indicating to ITWeb that the firm last week laid off staff.

Read more...


EMPLOYEE MISCONDUCT / CORRUPTION / DISCIPLINARY ACTION

Sex videos were with adults, not pupils, says KZN teacher’s lawyer

The Mercury reports that a northern KwaZulu-Natal (KZN) teacher has denied having sex with schoolgirls after videos of him engaging in sex circulated on social networks.

Read more...

Other internet posting(s) in this news category

  • Petrol attendant fired after running over pregnant woman, at EWN
  • Cosatu condemns dousing of guard with urine at University of the Free State, at BDLive

 

Get South African labour news reports at SA Labour News