Today's Labour News

newsThis news aggregator site highlights South African labour news from a wide range of internet and print sources. Each posting has a synopsis of the source article, together with a link or reference to the original. Postings cover the range of labour related matters from industrial relations to generalist human resources.

sabcEWN reports that trade union Solidarity says it will continue with its case to have Hlaudi Motsoeneng held personally liable for legal costs incurred in the dismissals of the so called SABC 8 journalists even should he not be present in court.  

Motsoeneng failed to appear in the Labour Court on Tuesday morning.  Lawyers representing the respondents, namely former SA Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) head of news Simon Tebele, Motsoeneng and the SABC, withdrew last week.  On Tuesday Tebele asked for more time to find new lawyers.  Solidarity's Anton van der Bijl said the union believed Motsoeneng should held solely liable for the costs incurred in the unfair dismissals and added:  “We’re adamant that he was the author of the directive to dismiss the SABC 8.”  It is unclear who will represent Motsoeneng when the case resumes in September.

  • A short report by Kgomotso Modise is at EWN
  • Read Solidarity’s press statement in this regard at Solidarity online


Get other news reports at the SA Labour News home page