Today's Labour News

newsThis news aggregator site highlights South African labour news from a wide range of internet and print sources. Each posting has a synopsis of the source article, together with a link or reference to the original. Postings cover the range of labour related matters from industrial relations to generalist human resources.

sabcSaturday Star reports that former SA Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) boss Hlaudi Motsoeneng faces a R3 million lawsuit from the unions who represented the so-called SABC 8 journalists, but he has vowed to fight them “until the end”.  

After the Labour Court costs ruling on Friday, Solidarity, which represented four of the journalists, said it would now make a legal claim of R1 million against Motsoeneng.  The Broadcasting, Electronic, Media and Allied Workers’ Union (Bemawu), which represented three of the journalists, said it would sue for R2 million.  On Friday, the court held Motsoeneng, chief executive of news and current affairs Simon Tebele and the SABC itself liable for costs of the legal applications lodged by the SABC 8 against their dismissals.  Solidarity’s Anton van der Bijl said they would lodge their claim against Motsoeneng as he had been responsible for the SABC banning the showing and broadcast of violent scenes on all the public broadcaster’s platforms.  “He was a decision-maker,” said Van der Bijl.  Bemawu appeared more cautious, saying its legal claim would be lodged against the SABC, Motsoeneng and Tebele.  Motsoeneng commented:  “I am going to ask my lawyers to oppose the ruling.  It is not the end.”

  • Read an extended version of this report by Baldwin Ndaba at SA Labour News
  • Read too, Unions target Motsoeneng for SABC legal fees, at BusinessLive
  • And also, Motsoeneng to appeal ruling on SABC8 legal costs, at EWN


Get other news reports at the SA Labour News home page