Today's Labour News

newsThis news aggregator site highlights South African labour news from a wide range of internet and print sources. Each posting has a synopsis of the source article, together with a link or reference to the original. Postings cover the range of labour related matters from industrial relations to generalist human resources.

southafricalogoSunday Tribune reports that suspensions of no more than two months are all the 11 public works officials charged with flouting procurement procedures in the controversial security upgrades at President Jacob Zuma’s Nkandla private residence got.  

The probe into the Department of Public Works (DPW) directors and project managers started four years ago and was concluded last week.  More than R200m was improperly spent on Zuma’s private Nkandla residence.  The charges brought against the group stemmed from a 2014 Special Investigations Unit (SIU) report which revealed several tender irregularities during the project.  DPW spokesperson Thamsanqa Mchunu said the employees were back at work and a confidential settlement agreement had been reached.  According to sources, the DPW chose to settle and not continue with the disciplinary process because it had a weak case.  “It would have been a bigger public embarrassment,” said a source.  Public Service Association (PSA) KZN manager Claude Naicker would not reveal the contents of the agreement.

  • Read this report by Nokuthula Ntuli and Lungani Zungu in full at Sunday Tribune


Get other news reports at the SA Labour News home page