Today's Labour News

newsThis news aggregator site highlights South African labour news from a wide range of internet and print sources. Each posting has a synopsis of the source article, together with a link or reference to the original. Postings cover the range of labour related matters from industrial relations to generalist human resources.

gunThe Star reports that fears of a bloody turf war erupting again among illegal miners (‘zama zamas’) have gripped Ekurhuleni following the grim discovery on Sunday morning of seven rotting bodies dumped in a field.  

A community member found the decomposing bodies, which were riddled with bullet holes.  They were found near a mine dump along Modderbee Street in Benoni.  The mine dump is in a secluded area, with the closest neighbourhood, New Modder, about a kilometre away.  Police spokesperson Lieutenant-Colonel Lungelo Dlamini said it was possible that the men were killed by a rival illegal mining gang at one of the many disused shafts in the area.  "They were all shot in the upper body and had already started swelling.  Our concern is that the associates of the deceased might avenge their deaths, triggering another bloody turf war,” Dlamini said.  The incident has also sparked fears and worries of safety from the communities of Daveyton and New Modder.  There have been numerous bloody turf wars among illegal miners in Gauteng, with Ekurhuleni always experiencing the worst of them.

  • Read this report by Lindile Sifile in full at The Star


Get other news reports at the SA Labour News home page