Today's Labour News

newsThis news aggregator site highlights South African labour news from a wide range of internet and print sources. Each posting has a synopsis of the source article, together with a link or reference to the original. Postings cover the range of labour related matters from industrial relations to generalist human resources.

ANN7SowetanLive reports that fears of job losses have gripped ANN7 employees after pay-tv company MultiChoice announced its decision to cut ties with the Gupta-linked 24-hour news channel.  

MultiChoice CEO Calvo Mawela advised that the platform broadcaster would not be renewing its contract with the channel in August when the current one lapses.  The decision seemingly did not come as a surprise to some staff members, who had been reassured of the future by new owner Mzwanele Manyi about two weeks ago.  An unnamed staff member said:  "The general [Manyi] told us everything was fine and that we need not worry [about the channel's future]."  Some staff members on Wednesday watched the announcement on TV and apparently joked about how unemployment stared them in the face.  Sdumo Dlamini, president of labour federation Cosatu, slammed MultiChoice's decision, saying:  "These multinationals or monopolies who continue to grow on the strength of the workers of this country make these decisions without considering their impact on those workers."

  • Read this report by Isaac Mahlangu in full at SowetanLive
  • Read too, Removing ANN7 has 'serious implications for media freedom', warns Sanef, at News24
  • And also, Manyi to challenge MultiChoice’s decision to drop ANN7 from DStv bouquet, at The Citizen


Get other news reports at the SA Labour News home page