Today's Labour News

newsThis news aggregator site highlights South African labour news from a wide range of internet and print sources. Each posting has a synopsis of the source article, together with a link or reference to the original. Postings cover the range of labour related matters from industrial relations to generalist human resources.

saps“We’re coming for you – dead or alive” was the message of National Police Commissioner General Kehla John Sithole on Wednesday at ground zero in Engcobo in the Eastern Cape.

This was as the country and the town reeled in the wake of a deadly raid on the local police station in which six people – including five police officers – died.  The attack was the second attack in less than a year and took place in the early hours of Wednesday morning after an unknown number of gunmen stormed the station.  Police suspect there could be common attackers in both incidents.  Sithole said a multi-disciplinary investigative task team, backed by a special tracking team, had been dispatched to apprehend the attackers and that a national high-risk team had been activated.  Eastern Cape police spokesman Captain Khaya Tonjeni said three officers were killed instantly in the attack.  Two others were found dead later after being taken by the attackers, who had also killed a retired soldier while fleeing.  Tonjeni said 10 firearms – two rifles, two shotguns and six pistols – were taken.

  • Read this report by Tembile Sgqolana‚ Bongani Fuzile and Sikho Ntshobane in full at Times Select (registration required)
  • Read too, Cosatu calls for action against Eastern Cape cop killers, at The Citizen


Get other news reports at the SA Labour News home page