Today's Labour News

newsThis news aggregator site highlights South African labour news from a wide range of internet and print sources. Each posting has a synopsis of the source article, together with a link or reference to the original. Postings cover the range of labour related matters from industrial relations to generalist human resources.

numNews24 reports that the National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) on Sunday said it would engage the management of Sibanye-Stillwater following the recent deadly incidents at its mines, which have pushed the national toll to 31 fatalities so far this year.  

The union’s Health and Safety Secretary, Eric Gcilitshana, said:  “We have noted the increasingly poor safety record at the mines, particularly at Sibanye.  As the union we will be calling for discussions with the mine to raise our concerns.  There have been far too many fatalities at Sibanye mines, notably this year alone.”  Last Thursday’s incident was caused by a seismic event at Sibanye’s Masakhane mine and claimed the lives of seven workers.  It followed the killing of two mineworkers at Sibanye’s Kloof mine in February after a fall-of-ground.  Early this year, 955 miners were temporarily trapped at another Sibanye mine in Welkom, after an electric cable outage during a storm.  All the workers were safely rescued.  Trade union Solidarity has also expressed "grave concern" about safety in SA mines in the wake of the Sibanye tragedy.  "Solidarity reminds employees of their legal right to withdraw from unsafe working conditions, and urges them to do so should it be necessary," the union said in a statement.

  • Read this report by Sibongile Khumalo in full at Fin24
  • Read Solidarity’s statement at Solidarity News


Get other news reports at the SA Labour News home page