Today's Labour News

newsThis news aggregator site highlights South African labour news from a wide range of internet and print sources. Each posting has a synopsis of the source article, together with a link or reference to the original. Postings cover the range of labour related matters from industrial relations to generalist human resources.

gavel thumb100 Timeslive reports that the Randburg Magistrate's Court was due on Wednesday to hear evidence from a man accused of repeatedly assaulting his former domestic worker.  

Kobus De Klerk‚ 47‚ is facing a charge of assault for allegedly attacking Siyamthanda Dube.  He has pleaded not guilty to the charge.  Dube has claimed that her former employer repeatedly beat her in front of her four-year-old daughter last year, allegedly because she had taken her sick daughter to the clinic.  De Klerk’s counsel‚ Lize Nel‚ told the court on Tuesday that he was a good man and that he had treated Dube and her children well while she was his employee.  On Tuesday, De Klerk‚ through his lawyer‚ denied that he had paid Dube R200 to keep her quite about the assault.  "He is not a stupid man.  He knows it would take more than R200 to keep you quiet‚" asserted Nel.  She also asked Dube why she had not sought help when De Klerk had assaulted her on numerous occasions while she worked for him.  Dube had earlier told the court that whenever De Klerk was upset about something she had done around the house‚ he would verbally abuse her.

  • Read this report by Nomahlubi Jordaan in full at Timeslive


Get other news reports at the SA Labour News home page