Today's Labour News

newsThis news aggregator site highlights South African labour news from a wide range of internet and print sources. Each posting has a synopsis of the source article, together with a link or reference to the original. Postings cover the range of labour related matters from industrial relations to generalist human resources.

newsGroundUp reports that seventeen employees of the Fort Napier Medico Legal Mortuary in Pietermaritzburg, who were arrested on Monday, were released with a strong warning on Tuesday.  

They were arrested after the Department of Health (DOH) issued an ultimatum to workers to return to work or face arrest.  DOH spokesperson Ncumisa Mafunda said that on Tuesday, 16 forensic pathology staff members from Gale Street Medico Legal Mortuary in Durban had also been arrested.  They were apparently released the same day.  The Fort Napier workers had been on a go-slow since November, demanding a wage increase, back pay and better working conditions.  Ndunakazi indicated that all the workers from Fort Napier had returned to work.  The case against them was adjourned to 8 February 2019, on condition that they returned to work and began to function optimally.  The DOH again apologised to the public “for delays that have been experienced regarding to the completion of autopsies, due to the ongoing go-slow by staff at five of its medical legal mortuaries.”  Nehawu’s Phakama Ndunakazi said:  “Currently, we are conducting meetings with the workers about the way forward on the matter.  This is not over.  We are declaring a big war with the Department of Health.  We will continue supporting the workers until their issues are resolved and attended to.”

  • Read Nompendulo Ngubane’s full report in this regard at GroundUp


Get other news reports at the SA Labour News home page