Today's Labour News

newsThis news aggregator site highlights South African labour news from a wide range of internet and print sources. Each posting has a synopsis of the source article, together with a link or reference to the original. Postings cover the range of labour related matters from industrial relations to generalist human resources.

protestSowetanLive reports that the small town of Bronkhorstspruit east of Pretoria was expected to come to a standstill on Tuesday.  Residents planned a shutdown to protest a security guard having been stripped down to his underwear and forced to walk 3km in the rain.  

Residents were angered after a video of the dismissed Charlie Mabuza, 36, walking around town with a yellow rubbish bag wrapped around his waist surfaced on social media last week.  Mandlakayise Mahlangu from the ANC Youth League said the march had been organised to react to the long-standing incidents of racism committed by Mabuza's former employer, GEW Secure Security Company.  Mahlangu said businesses which used GEW to render services would not be allowed to operate in the town as they “will be seen as being funders and indirect perpetrators of racism, and will be dealt with in the same manner as GEW Secure.”  Mabuza said he was left humiliated after his supervisor instructed him to take off his uniform before firing him and kicking him off the premises on New Year's Day.  This was after he had been found to be sleeping and smelling of liquor while on duty.  GEW has offered Mabuza his job back, but Mabuza has not responded to the offer.  Police are investigating but no arrests have been made.

  • Read the original report by Tankiso Makhetha in full at SowetanLive


Get other news reports at the SA Labour News home page