Today's Labour News

newsThis news aggregator site highlights South African labour news from a wide range of internet and print sources. Each posting has a synopsis of the source article, together with a link or reference to the original. Postings cover the range of labour related matters from industrial relations to generalist human resources.

transnetlogo thumb100 BusinessLive writes that state-owned freight and rail company Transnet has lost about R1.3bn through dodgy dealings and malfeasance and is in the process of recovering that money through lawsuits against former officials such as Siyabonga Gama and Brian Molefe.  

Transnet board chair Popo Molefe said on Thursday that civil action was proceeding and papers had been served on those responsible.  The Transnet board, which was appointed in 2018, has taken action against the malfeasance in the parastatal, dismissing Gama as CEO, suspending senior executives and issuing summonses to recover the money lost.  This includes Gama, its other former CEO, Brian Molefe, and former CFO and Gupta ally Anoj Singh.  Gama’s employment contract with Transnet was terminated in September 2018.  He tried to fight his axing in the Labour Court but lost.  Tau Morwe has been acting as group CEO since November.  Popo Molefe said the disciplinary proceedings against suspended officials were expected to get under way next week.

  • Read Genevieve Quintal’s report on this story in full at BusinessLive
  • Read too, Popo Molefe says new board found 'horror show' at Transnet, at Fin24


Get other news reports at the SA Labour News home page