Today's Labour News

newsThis news aggregator site highlights South African labour news from a wide range of internet and print sources. Each posting has a synopsis of the source article, together with a link or reference to the original. Postings cover the range of labour related matters from industrial relations to generalist human resources.

durbanSunday Tribune reports that a senior eThekwini official who is being investigated for tender rigging, fraud and corruption has returned to work.  

Zandile Sithole, the deputy head of supply chain management, walked into her office last Monday, much to the surprise of her colleagues, as she has yet to be cleared of the charges she faces.  Sithole was suspended in September 2017 amid claims that she received kickbacks from companies that got municipal contracts.  She faces nine charges related to contravening the supply chain management policy, the code of conduct and the Municipal Systems Act.  Last week, city manager Sipho Nzuza confirmed that they had set aside Sithole’s suspension but that charges had not been dropped against her.  He said Sithole would not be involved in procurement operations until her disciplinary hearing had been finalised and that her duties had been delegated to others in the meantime.  “We were advised by our legal department that it was illegal to keep her on suspension for more than six months.  She was receiving a full salary while at home,” Nzuza said.  Nzuza could not explain what had led to the delay in Sithole’s hearing, which has been shrouded in controversy, threats and intimidation.

  • Read the full original of Siphelele Buthelezi’s report on this story at Sunday Tribune


Get other news reports at the SA Labour News home page