protestTimesLIVE reports that frustrated waste-collectors were scheduled to march against Pikitup and the City of Johannesburg on Thursday to demand clarity on their futures.  

Eva Mokoena of the African Reclaimers Organisation (ARO) indicated that they started negotiating with the city in 2017 to "recognise the work performed by the reclaimers" and submitted a draft of demands to the city in October 2018.  "It is what we wanted, because they were telling us about integration.  We asked them how do they want integration to work on our side?  They told us that they would talk to private companies and come back to us," Mokoena said.  But, she reported that progress had "faltered" and had left them frustrated.  In March, the city's environment department and Pikitup said in a statement that 1,200 informal waste-pickers had been registered as part of an ongoing process.  The city explained that the objectives of the registration process were to recognise waste-pickers currently in the system for integration into the government's solid waste management system, provide assistance with protective clothing and tools of the trade, as well as the identification of waste-pickers who could be considered for training opportunities.


Get other news reports at the SA Labour News home page