Sibanye StillwaterTimesLIVE reports that underground operations resumed at Sibanye-Stillwater's Thembelani shaft in Rustenburg on Friday after it was certified safe for normal hoisting operations.  

At about 1pm on 30 April, rails being transported underground at the shaft came loose while being slung under the conveyance and fell down the shaft.  "The removal of the fallen rails, shaft repair work and independent assessment of the shaft was completed safely and without incident, which is testament to the deep levels of competence within our organisation.  We will now focus on establishing exactly what caused the rails to dislodge,” CEO Neal Froneman said.  "While an inspection was performed by the shaft personnel, about 1,800 day shift employees gathered at the shaft stations at the Thembelani shaft.  All employees were later safely hoisted from the 14th level that evening after the shaft inspection confirmed that it was safe to do so," the company said.  Froneman stated that the workers had been safe at all times during the incident.


Get other news reports at the SA Labour News home page