sapsANA reports that the SA Police Service (SAPS) said on Sunday that reports in the media suggesting that a reservoir in the Montclair area just outside Durban had been “bombed” were not only false, but also very irresponsible.  

On Saturday morning at about 5am, the walls of a water reservoir in Alamein Avenue in Montclair gave way, causing hundreds of kilolitres of water to gush out, fortunately with no injuries or deaths.  SAPS spokesman Brigadier Vishnu Naidoo said that forensic experts had found no evidence to even suggest that the damage to the reservoir had been caused by any form of criminal action.  On Saturday, City of eThekwini city manager Sipho Nzuza claimed in a statement that the reservoir had been “bombed”.  “We have [a] strong suspicion that it is related to the illegal industrial action that is under way in our municipality,” he stated.  The city retracted the statement later on Saturday, saying investigators had pointed out that the damage could have been caused by structural defects.  Naidu indicated that that preliminary investigations suggested that the structure of the reservoir might have been weakened by the recent heavy rain and flooding in the Durban and surrounding areas, causing the walls to give way.


Get other news reports at the SA Labour News home page