Today's Labour News

newsThis news aggregator site highlights South African labour news from a wide range of internet and print sources. Each posting has a synopsis of the source article, together with a link or reference to the original. Postings cover the range of labour related matters from industrial relations to generalist human resources.

joburgcityTimesLIVE reports that City Power decided for safety reasons on Sunday to withdrew its operators and technicians from Johannesburg areas plagued by xenophobic attacks.  

The entity said it had been informed of new attacks on businesses and foreigners' homes in areas including the CBD, Jeppestown, Malvern, Johannesburg central, Rosettenville, Hillbrow and Berea.  Spokesperson Isaac Mangena indicated:  “These are some of the areas, that include Alexandra and Lenasia, where City Power struggled to operate, or operated limited service, during the recent attacks.  Our customers were, and will continue to be, inconvenienced with limited or no response to fault calls in areas where danger is anticipated.”  City Power CEO Lerato Setshedi explained the entity's decision to withdraw services as follows:  “We are doing this for safety reasons of our staff members and contractors… This means that as a service delivery utility, City Power may find it difficult to respond to some of the fault calls in the areas we have identified as flash points.”  Services that did not require physical visits by City Power staff were continuing, said Mangena.  City Power said it would re-assess the situation on Monday.

  • Read the full original of the above report at TimesLIVE
  • Read too, One dead, 16 arrested in attacks in Joburg, at Independent News


Get other news reports at the SA Labour News home page