Today's Labour News

newsThis news aggregator site highlights South African labour news from a wide range of internet and print sources. Each posting has a synopsis of the source article, together with a link or reference to the original. Postings cover the range of labour related matters from industrial relations to generalist human resources.

postoffice thumb100 SowetanLive reports that gender activists and civil society movements have slammed SA Post Office (Sapo) for sitting on a report which flagged 300 employees, including the man who murdered University of Cape Town student Uyinene Mrwetyana.  

The man who confessed to killing Mrwetyana in a post office was found to be a convicted criminal who had served time.  This was after Sapo had vetted all employees who were going to work on the distribution of social grants last year.  The Sunday Times reported over the weekend that for more than a year, Sapo was aware that Mrwetyana's alleged killer was a convicted hijacker.  However, no action was taken.  Loyiso Saliso, one of the organisers of the #TotalShutdownMovement, said government as a whole needed to be called out and also be sued for Mrwetyana's killing.  Saliso said it was "highly disturbing" that Mrwetyana's alleged killer "and 299 other criminals" could be appointed with ease despite criminal records".  Communications minister Stella Ndabeni-Abrahams has written to the Sapo board to "urgently provide reasons why the 2018 report was not implemented".  Her spokesperson indicated that she wanted "appropriate action" taken against the 299 employees still at the post office depending on the gravity of the offences they were guilty of.

  • Read the full original of the above report by Isaac Mahlangu at SowetanLive


Get other news reports at the SA Labour News home page