minerBL Premium reports that SA’s mining industry recorded fewer deaths in the first nine months of 2019, the lowest rate since the industry began tracking its safety performance 100 years ago.  

As at 23 September, the number of fatalities was 35, signalling a significant improvement on 2018 when there were 71 deaths in the comparative period and on 2017, when the industry death toll jumped for the first time since 2009 with 88 deaths recorded for the full year.  David Msiza, the department of mineral resources and energy’s chief inspector of mines, said if health and safety performance continued on the same trajectory for the next three months, it would be the safest year yet for the industry.  Themba Mkhwanazi, CEO of Kumba Iron Ore and the chair of the Minerals Council SA’s CEO Zero Harm Forum, said while there had been a significant improvement in the period, “it is still 35 lives too many. We will not rest until we get to zero.”  Mkhwanazi was speaking on Tuesday at the launch of the forum’s new CEO-led health and safety strategy, Khumbul’ekhaya.


Get other news reports at the SA Labour News home page