MultiChoiceThe Star reports that a swift response resulted in workers being safely evacuated after fire engulfed one of the MultiChoice buildings in Randburg on Tuesday.  

The SuperSport section caught fire and forced the pay TV provider to broadcast international new feeds until programming could resume.  The emergency management services, located a few metres from the building, responded to the blaze and on arrival they conducted preliminary investigations which showed that the fire was started by an air conditioner.  Spokesperson Nana Radebe said:  On arrival, there was a fire on top of the roof.  Our investigation has shown an air conditioning system was on fire on the roof.  The smoke went inside and fortunately everyone had been evacuated from the building.”  Radebe said they had ventilated the building and there was no smoke left, but the company would decide when it was safe for workers to return.  The fire is believed to have started around 12:30pm and while some employees were rushing to their cars, several were treated for smoke inhalation.  


Get other news reports at the SA Labour News home page