Today's Labour News

newsThis news aggregator site highlights South African labour news from a wide range of internet and print sources. Each posting has a synopsis of the source article, together with a link or reference to the original. Postings cover the range of labour related matters from industrial relations to generalist human resources.

ICTUBusiness Report writes that the Information Communication Technology Union (ICTU) has threatened to down tools across Cell C’s operations if the company does not withdraw the section 189 notice that it issued last week informing employees of possible retrenchments.  

The mobile operator is grappling under severe liquidity constraints and has proposed reducing its workforce by up to 40%.  It has advised that of 2,500 positions, 960 might be affected by the restructuring.  ICTU, the majority union at Cell C, said on Friday that retrenchments were not an option given the R4 billion recapitalisation programme approved by the Competition Commission last week aimed at keeping the company afloat and jobs secure.  ICTU spokesperson Thabang Mothelo said workers would down tools until the notice was withdrawn.  “We are not interested in negotiating.  The ball is in Cell C’s court to either comply or go to the battlefield,” Mothelo said.  He also noted that the union had bent over backwards during last year’s wage negotiations in agreeing to a 6% salary hike, instead of an 8% increase, in order to sustain Cell C’s liquidity and avoid retrenchments.  A Cell C spokesperson said the section 189 consultation process would begin next week.

  • Read the full original of the report in the above regard by Dineo Faku on page 11 of Business Report of 29 June 2020


Get other news reports at the SA Labour News home page