Today's Labour News

newsThis news aggregator site highlights South African labour news from a wide range of internet and print sources. Each posting has a synopsis of the source article, together with a link or reference to the original. Postings cover the range of labour related matters from industrial relations to generalist human resources.

durbanANA reports that an eThekwini municipal worker tasked with clearing puddles from a Durban road in the wake of recent rains was killed when he was struck by a lorry on Wednesday.  

solidariteitANA reports that trade union Solidarity said on Wednesday that the decision by the SA Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) to reinstate seven of the eight journalists it fired for disagreeing with its protest coverage policy was a victory against censorship.  

sasolBDLive reports that Sasol has put contingency plans in place in anticipation of thousands of petroleum sector workers downing tools on Thursday during a protected strike.  

sabmillerlogoBDLive reports that the SABMiller board on Wednesday informed staff dealing with the company’s convergence and integration with Anheuser-Busch InBev (AB InBev) to stop their work, bringing the R1.4-trillion megabrew merger to a halt.  

weblinksOur links page provides references to South African labour news reports we have come across on the Internet on Wednesday, 27 July 2016

newsMoneyweb reports that the future of employee share schemes seems to be in the balance if proposals in the latest draft Taxation Laws Amendment Bill go through.  

petrolpump thumb medium80 94TMG Digital reports that the Automobile Association (AA) has advised motorists to ensure they have fuel‚ ahead of a strike by the Chemical Energy Paper Printing Wood and Allied Workers’ Union (Ceppwawu), set to begin on Thursday.  

sabcNews24 reports that the SA Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) announced on Wednesday that it has reinstated seven dismissed journalists.  

education blackboard thumb medium80 92News24 reports that more than 200 teachers were charged with assault by the Western Cape Education Department (WCED) in the past year, education MEC Debbie Schafer confirmed on Tuesday.  

VantageGoldfieldsMining Weekly reports that Canadian gold producer and investor AfroCan Resources Gold and gold producer Vantage Goldfields are continuing to exchange words in a dispute over a failed financing deal.  

sabcNews24 reports that four journalists fired by the SA Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) are disappointed they cannot go back to work despite a Labour Court judgement ordering the public broadcaster to reinstate them.  

strike thumb medium85 85The Mercury reports that members of the Chemical Energy Paper Printing Wood and Allied Workers’ Union (Ceppwawu) employed at petrol refineries are set to begin a strike on Thursday morning over a wage dispute.  

pravingordanReuters reports that Finance Minister Pravin Gordhan said on Tuesday he was concerned about South Africa's volatile labour market, which has been plagued by strikes and above inflation wage demands despite a barely growing economy.  

protestdefenceWeb reports that numerous Solidarity and Numsa members working for Denel on the East Rand and in Pretoria have been participating in sporadic protest action since last week over the late payment of performance bonuses.  

durbanThe New Age reports that normal bus services resumed on Tuesday following an end to a Durban Transport bus drivers’ strike.  

ceppwawuThe New Age reports that the Chemical Energy Paper Printing Wood and Allied Workers’ Union (Ceppwawu) says it will embark on an industrial strike on Thursday to demand a better living wage in the petroleum industry.  

sabcNews24 reports that the SA Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) will appeal Tuesday’s Labour Court order that it must reinstate four journalists that were recently dismissed, and will not allow them back into their offices.  

weblinksOur links page provides references to South African labour news reports we have come across on the Internet on Tuesday, 26 July 2016

necsa1Engineering News reports that the SA Nuclear Energy Corporation (Necsa) on Tuesday said it was still engaging with the National Education Health and Allied Workers' Union (Nehawu) and the Pelindaba Workers’ Union (PWU) on salary increases and conditions of service.  

news shutterstockIn our Tuesday roundup, see summaries
of our selection of South African labour-
related stories that have appeared since
midday on Monday, 25 July 2016.

solidariteitNews24 reports that the Labour Court’s ruling that four of the axed SABC journalists must be reinstated is the first victory in a larger battle against those in the broadcaster who feel that the Constitution does not apply to them, Solidarity said on Tuesday.  

miner thumb medium90 104Fin24 reports that the six mining companies that form the Occupational Lung Disease Working Group said on Monday they fully and actively support the work being done by the national departments of Mineral Resources and Health to ensure that former mineworkers were able to claim all the benefits to which they are entitled.  

fsbANA reports that the Financial Services Board (FSB) on Friday issued a warning to members of the public to be wary of unscrupulous individuals swindling people for a fee to recover their unpaid pension benefits.  

eskomThe Star reports that about 100 people from the Kusile area protested on Monday morning, demanding jobs at the Kusile Power Station in Mpumalanga.  The N4 and parts of the N12 were blocked as marchers called for employment.  

sabcBDLive reports that the SA Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) will not say whether the four journalists who won their case in the Labour Court on Tuesday will be allowed to return to work.  

LafargeEngineering News reports that construction materials company Lafarge on Monday refuted claims by labour federation Cosatu that the company was arrogant and was engaging in union bashing.  

telkom thumb100 Fin24 reports that telecoms network Telkom has given its chief executive officer Sipho Maseko a pay boost amid the company’s strong financial performances under his watch.  

labourcourtsBDLive reports that the Labour Court has found that the dismissal of four of the eight journalists recently fired by the SA Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) to be unlawful.  The court ordered that the journalists be allowed to return to work.  

sabcCity Press reports that, after finishing a first round of argument on Friday in the Labour Court against the employees it has fired, the SA Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) will have to brace itself for another day in court on Thursday.  

chrisgriffithBusiness Report writes that, as wage talks in the platinum sector, which began earlier this month, enter a critical phase, Chris Griffith, CE of Anglo American Platinum (Amplats), believes there is little appetite for industrial action.