Today's Labour News

newsThis news aggregator site highlights South African labour news from a wide range of internet and print sources. Each posting has a synopsis of the source article, together with a link or reference to the original. Postings cover the range of labour related matters from industrial relations to generalist human resources.

necsa1Engineering News reports that the SA Nuclear Energy Corporation (Necsa) on Tuesday said it was still engaging with the National Education Health and Allied Workers' Union (Nehawu) and the Pelindaba Workers’ Union (PWU) on salary increases and conditions of service.  

news shutterstockIn our Tuesday roundup, see summaries
of our selection of South African labour-
related stories that have appeared since
midday on Monday, 25 July 2016.

solidariteitNews24 reports that the Labour Court’s ruling that four of the axed SABC journalists must be reinstated is the first victory in a larger battle against those in the broadcaster who feel that the Constitution does not apply to them, Solidarity said on Tuesday.  

miner thumb medium90 104Fin24 reports that the six mining companies that form the Occupational Lung Disease Working Group said on Monday they fully and actively support the work being done by the national departments of Mineral Resources and Health to ensure that former mineworkers were able to claim all the benefits to which they are entitled.  

fsbANA reports that the Financial Services Board (FSB) on Friday issued a warning to members of the public to be wary of unscrupulous individuals swindling people for a fee to recover their unpaid pension benefits.  

eskomThe Star reports that about 100 people from the Kusile area protested on Monday morning, demanding jobs at the Kusile Power Station in Mpumalanga.  The N4 and parts of the N12 were blocked as marchers called for employment.  

sabcBDLive reports that the SA Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) will not say whether the four journalists who won their case in the Labour Court on Tuesday will be allowed to return to work.  

LafargeEngineering News reports that construction materials company Lafarge on Monday refuted claims by labour federation Cosatu that the company was arrogant and was engaging in union bashing.  

telkom thumb100 Fin24 reports that telecoms network Telkom has given its chief executive officer Sipho Maseko a pay boost amid the company’s strong financial performances under his watch.  

labourcourtsBDLive reports that the Labour Court has found that the dismissal of four of the eight journalists recently fired by the SA Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) to be unlawful.  The court ordered that the journalists be allowed to return to work.  

sabcCity Press reports that, after finishing a first round of argument on Friday in the Labour Court against the employees it has fired, the SA Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) will have to brace itself for another day in court on Thursday.  

chrisgriffithBusiness Report writes that, as wage talks in the platinum sector, which began earlier this month, enter a critical phase, Chris Griffith, CE of Anglo American Platinum (Amplats), believes there is little appetite for industrial action.  

earningsTimesLive reports that a new report titled "A National Minimum Wage for South Africa", released on Monday at Wits University indicates that a minimum wage of about R5,000 a month could be just what SA needs to boost its economy.  

handcuffsANA reports that seven suspects arrested in connection with the murder of a North West policeman were due to appear in the Klerksdorp Magistrate’s Court on Monday.  

ceppwawuANA reports that the Chemical Energy Paper Printing Wood and Allied Workers Union (Ceppwawu) has served a 48-hours’ strike notice on employers in the chemical industry, the National Petroleum Employers Association and also the National Bargaining Council for the Chemical Industry.  

weblinksOur links page provides references to South African labour news reports we have come across on the Internet on Monday, 25 July 2016

news shutterstockIn our Monday roundup, see summaries
of our selection of South African labour-
related stories that have appeared since
midday on Friday, 22 July 2016.

durbanDaily News reports that Durban Transport commuters had to make other transport arrangements on Monday morning as the bus strike continued into its fifth day.  

Saturday Star reports that trade union Solidarity is confident that four of its members dismissed by the SABC will return to work as soon as this week.  Solidarity chief executive Dirk Hermann said:  “We believe we’ve done enough to convince the court to reinstate our members.”  

earningsBloomberg reports that Naspers increased the compensation of its CEO Bob van Dijk by 5% as the company prepared to further boost its international internet business in the face of falling pay TV customers in Sub-Saharan Africa.  

sabcWeekend Argus reports that an unspoken protest by SABC TV news staff, who were all dressed in black when they were on camera on Friday, “was not a protest”, according to SABC spokesman Kaizer Kganyago.  

medicaldoctoreNCA reports that overworked South African junior doctors are calling for new regulations on working hours.  This follows the death of a young intern who allegedly fell asleep behind the wheel after working a very long shift.  

statssaBDLive reports that South Africa’s unemployment crisis will be laid bare when data are released this week amid SA’s struggle to revive the economy.  

minerBusiness Report writes that former mineworkers, or their beneficiaries, in South Africa and neighbouring countries were owed as much as R10 billion in unclaimed benefits, Deputy Minister for Mineral Resources Godfrey Oliphant said on Friday.  

solidariteitNews24 reports that judgment in the case of the four SA Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) journalists who were fired last week will be handed down in the Labour Court Cape Town on Tuesday, trade union Solidarity said on Monday.  

boardroomtableBusiness Report writes that three sessions of negotiations between SA’s vehicle manufacturers and the National Union of Metalworkers of SA (Numsa) have failed to achieve agreement on any of the union’s demands.  

necsa1Netwerk24 reports that the Pelindaba reactor might have to be shut down this week as a result of the biggest strike ever at the facility.  

NMMUHeraldLive reports that Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University (NMMU) will soon open SA’s 10th medical school, vice-chancellor Professor Derrick Swartz announced at the weekend.  This comes after years of campaigning by the university.  

graduate thumb100 TimesLive reports that Universities SA, which represents local universities, has recommended to the Fees Commission of Inquiry that employed graduates should be forced to pay a graduates' tax to help fund free higher education.  

weblinksOur links page provides references to South African labour news reports we have come across on the Internet on Saturday, 23 July and Sunday, 24 July 2016