Today's Labour News

newsThis news aggregator site highlights South African labour news from a wide range of internet and print sources. Each posting has a synopsis of the source article, together with a link or reference to the original. Postings cover the range of labour related matters from industrial relations to generalist human resources.

earningsFinancial Mail reports that at Investec’s AGM on 4 August 2016, CEO Stephen Koseff’s "big bucks" will come under fierce scrutiny.  

sapsHeraldLive reports that a delayed multimillion-rand upgrade of the Bethelsdorp police station has caused detectives to book off sick due to “unworkable” conditions.  

minerBDLive reports that legislation providing for the merger of statutes that provide benefits for occupational diseases may be in force by the end of the 2016-17 financial year.  

guneNCA reports that an on-duty North West police officer stationed at the Hartbeesfontein police station was killed on Thursday while responding to a business burglary alarm at a local bank in the town.  

sapsNews24 reports that members of the police’s National Intervention Unit (NIU) and a group of suspected zama zamas (illegal miners) got involved in a skirmish on Thursday evening resulting in one fatality and a number of injuries.  

sabcNews24 reports that one of the so-called SABC 8, Vuyo Mvoko, will be approaching the High Court to put him back on the air after the SA Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) terminated its contract with him.  

kznuniversityDaily News reports that the ANC in KwaZulu-Natal wants to meet with the University of KZN’s Medical School over its quota policy, which excludes hundreds of Indian students each year.  

newsHeraldLive reports that on Thursday in Port Elizabeth, the ANC paraded eight former Bedford farmworkers who claimed they were mistreated by Nelson Mandela Bay Democratic Alliance (DA) mayoral candidate Athol Trollip and his family.  

southafricalogoTimesLive reports that an expert witness has detailed how the temporary bridge over the M1 in Sandton that collapsed in October last year was riddled with deviations, discrepancies and failed a scaffolding design compliance test.  

sabcBDLive reports that the SA Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) has argued that the Labour Court does not have jurisdiction to deal with the application against it lodged by fired journalists.  

LafargeBusiness Report writes that cement and building materials producer Lafarge SA has dismissed about 150 employees after they embarked on an illegal strike and ignored two written ultimatums to return to work.  

weblinksOur links page provides references to South African labour news reports we have come across on the Internet on Thursday, 21 July 2016

news shutterstockIn our Thursday roundup, see summaries
of our selection of South African labour-
related stories that have appeared since
midday on Wednesday, 20 July 2016.

gavel thumb100 News24 reports that the man accused of murdering Metrorail train driver Piet Botha on the Netreg station platform in Bishop Lavis appeared in court on Thursday for a second time.  

newsReuters writes that poultry producer Astral has to cut jobs, it said on Wednesday, under pressure from high feed prices due to drought and from an oversupplied domestic market.  

pscBDLive reports that a proposal by the Public Service Commission (PSC) could see the appointment of directors-general (DGs) taken out of the hands of government ministers.  

zumaTimesLive reports that President Jacob Zuma has urged learners to study towards obtaining skills rather than obtaining a degree that could see them struggling to find employment.  

labourcourtsIOL News reports that Solidarity said on Thursday that it was dismayed that its Labour Court case against the SA Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) did not go ahead earlier and accused the broadcaster of delaying tactics.  

sasboBusiness Report writes that thousands of employees at major South African banks are at risk of losing their jobs after failing the Financial Advisory and Intermediary Services (Fais) regulatory examination.  

sapsNetwerk24 reports that the police intervened last week in Welkom just in time to prevent 300 zama-zamas (illegal miners) from throwing an alleged murderer down a disused mine shaft.  

sabcTMG Digital reports that the Labour Court hearing dealing with the dismissals of four SA Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) journalists was postponed on Thursday because the public broadcaster was not prepared.  

mildredoliphantThe Citizen reports that, addressing farmworkers in De Doorns outside Cape Town, Labour Minister Oliphant said on Wednesday that it was important for farmworkers to know their rights to reduce the chances of being exploited and abused.  

cosatuIOL News reports that Cosatu has condemned the political killings of at least 12 ANC members in the lead up to the local government elections on 3 August.  

gavel thumb100 TMG Digital/Sowetan report that five of the six men who stoned a police officer before setting him alight were convicted by the North West High Court on Wednesday.  

labourcourtsNews24 reports that Wednesday’s High Court interdict against the SABC's policy to not show footage of violent protests will be used in Thursday's Labour Court case in which four of the employees that were fired by the broadcaster will be challenging their dismissal.  

weblinksOur links page provides references to South African labour news reports we have come across on the Internet on Wednesday, 20 July 2016

PacsaBusinessTech reports that the Pietermaritzburg Agency for Community Social Action (Pacsa) says that the monthly minimum wage should be set at R8,000 to provide a basic level of dignity for all South Africans.  

news shutterstockIn our Wednesday roundup, see summaries
of our selection of South African labour-
related stories that have appeared since
midday on Tuesday, 19 July 2016.

solidariteitIOL News reports that trade union Solidarity has high hopes that its Labour Court case against the SABC on Thursday will be successful following the broadcaster losing a legal battle in the high court in Pretoria on Wednesday.  

concourtBDLive reports that seven fired SA Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) journalists have approached the Constitutional Court to declare their axing "unconstitutional, unlawful and invalid".  They are joined by an eighth, suspended SABC staffer Vuyo Mvoko, who had not been informed by Tuesday whether his contract had been cancelled.