Today's Labour News

newsThis news aggregator site highlights South African labour news from a wide range of internet and print sources. Each posting has a synopsis of the source article, together with a link or reference to the original. Postings cover the range of labour related matters from industrial relations to generalist human resources.

healthcareDaily News reports that oncologists and radiotherapists from the private sector will provide oncology services at public health facilities, while the Department of Health is recruiting replacements to treat cancer patients.  

uberThe Citizen reports that a photo and video circulated among Uber drivers over the weekend of a taxi driver who was attacked and burnt near Loftus on Saturday night at the Springbok rugby march in Pretoria has been confirmed as authentic by the firm.  

SibanyeReuters reports that Sibanye Gold said on Monday that 202 illegal miners had now been arrested at its Cooke operations southwest of Johannesburg since the start of a violent wildcat strike last Tuesday.  

metrorail thumb medium90 92News24 reports that two trains were set alight and shops looted at Cape Town station on Monday night, when commuters went on the rampage in reaction to lengthy delays.  No injuries were reported.  

sabcTimesLive writes that former SA Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) chief operating officer Hlaudi Motsoeneng dodged damning findings by the public protector and a R10-million bonus scandal, but it was a bizarre press conference that eventually brought him down.  

ancBusinessLive writes that the ANC-led tripartite alliance is no closer to reaching a solution to its many problems after labour federation Cosatu on Monday postponed a bilateral meeting with the party at the eleventh hour.  

sabcBusinessLive reports that Hlaudi Motsoeneng, former COO at the SA Broadcasting Corporation (SABC), has been fired after being found guilty of misconduct.  

news shutterstockIn our Monday roundup, see summaries
of our selection of South African labour-
related stories that have appeared since
midday on Friday, 9 June 2017.

farming thumb medium80 84Nehru Pillay, general manager for Research and Intelligence at the Land Bank, writes that, even though SA has slipped into a technical recession, last week’s announcement by Statistics SA showed positive GDP growth in two sectors, namely agriculture and mining.  

strike thumb medium85 85ANA reports that members of the SA Transport and Allied Workers’ Union (Satawu) at Gauteng’s Road Traffic Infringement Agency (RTIA), responsible for managing the Administrative Adjudication of Road Traffic Offences (AARTO), on Monday downed tools over work hours.  

numsaBusiness Report writes that the jury is out on whether the metal and engineering industries can avert labour unrest after the National Union of Metalworkers of SA (Numsa) blamed employers for provoking its members to strike.  

SibanyeReuters reports that Sibanye Gold said on Monday that 178 illegal miners have now been arrested at its Cooke operations since the start of a violent wildcat strike last Tuesday.  

sabcNews24 reports that it has been told by a reliable source that former SA Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) COO Hlaudi Motsoeneng has been found guilty in an internal disciplinary hearing.  

education blackboard thumb medium80 92TimesLive reports that the Department of Basic Education (DBE) has not screened a single new teacher, principal or official against the National Sexual Offenders' Register to see if they have been convicted of sexually harming a child.  

nehawu80TMG Digital/TimesLive report that the National Education Health and Allied Workers’ Union (Nehawu) in KwaZulu-Natal is preparing for a strike at the Dube TradePort, which is located 30km north of Durban, after wage negotiations deadlocked.  

numsaANA reports that the National Union of Metalworkers of SA (Numsa) has rejected an offer by employers in the metal and engineering industries for a 5.3% wage increase.  

newsNews24 reports that the volunteer firefighter who died on Friday morning after helping to put out wildfires in Plettenberg Bay had been trying to outrun the blaze.  

healthcareSunday Tribune reports that a 69-year-old Stanger man who had been waiting to receive urgent cancer treatment at the Inkosi Albert Luthuli Central Hospital died this week amid an oncology crisis in Durban.  

sadtu90TimesLive reports that the education of thousands of Mpumalanga schoolchildren has ground to a near halt and exams have been postponed because of a teachers' go-slow.  

ancEWN reports that that Cosatu will apparently not be attending a planned bilateral meeting with the African National Congress (ANC) on Monday.  

sibanyeReuters reports that a wildcat strike at Sibanye Gold’s Cooke operations west of Johannesburg continued on Sunday and 138 illegal miners there have been arrested since the stoppage began on Tuesday.  

weblinksOur links page provides references to South African labour news reports we have come across on the Internet from Friday, 9 June to Sunday, 11 June 2017.

news shutterstockIn our Friday roundup, see summaries
of our selection of South African labour-
related stories that have appeared since
midday on Thursday, 8 June 2017.

southafricalogoTMG Digital/BusinessLive report that Cabinet has called on business‚ labour and society generally to partner with government "as a matter of urgency" to arrest the decline in economic growth.  

Netcare911TMG Digital/TimesLive report that a paramedic was suspended on Friday for “discriminatory remarks” on Facebook about weather conditions in the Western Cape.  

sidumodlaminiANA reports that S’dumo Dlamini, president of Cosatu, on Thursday reiterated the ANC-aligned labour federation’s stance that President Jacob Zuma should resign and be replaced by his deputy Cyril Ramaphosa.  

kznlogo thumb100 TimesLIve writes that as at the close of business on Friday‚ there will not be a single cancer specialist doctor employed at any state hospital in Durban - and only two will be left in KwaZulu-Natal (KZN).  

southafricalogoCape Times reports that bereaved families across the country could face a situation whereby they cannot bury their deceased loved ones should a planned strike by Department of Home Affairs (DHA) employees go ahead on 19 June.  

VantageGoldfieldsANA reports that the search for the remains of three Lily Gold Mine workers, who were trapped underground in February last year when a lamp-room container they were working in fell into a massive sinkhole, will resume in September.  

parliamentEWN reports that Parliament has announced that the Secretary to Parliament, Gengezi Mgidlana, has been granted special leave effective as of Friday.