Today's Labour News

newsThis news aggregator site highlights South African labour news from a wide range of internet and print sources. Each posting has a synopsis of the source article, together with a link or reference to the original. Postings cover the range of labour related matters from industrial relations to generalist human resources.

SanefANA reports that the South African National Editors’ Forum (Sanef) said on Monday it would closely monitor the retrenchment process at the cash-strapped SA Broadcasting Corporation (SABC).  

telkom thumb100 Business Report writes that Telkom, which is partly government-owned, is embarking on a new round of retrenchments.  The telecommunications company said on Friday that it would offer voluntary separation and voluntary early retirement to qualifying employees.  

earningsBusinessLive reports that Cell C employees say they are frustrated after learning that the mobile operator’s executive directors saw their pay more than quadruple in 2017.  

news shutterstockIn our roundup of weekend news, see
summaries of our selection of South African
labour-related stories that appeared since
Friday, 14 September 2018.

sasolFin24 reports that trade union Solidarity has accused Sasol of compromising safety by making workers who are not properly trained replace its striking members at the Sasolburg plant.  

anglogoldashantiTrade union Solidarity reports that it and other mining unions, including the Association of Mineworkers and Construction Union (Amcu), will sign a three year wage agreement with AngloGold Ashanti at the Birchwood Conference Centre in Boksburg at noon on Monday.  

sahrc thumb medium90 90City Press reports that the government is seeking to engage the SA Human Rights Commission (SAHRC) after the Chapter Nine body reportedly found that the country’s affirmative action and employment equity policies were unconstitutional.  

transnetlogo thumb100 Sunday Independent reports that Transnet’s beleaguered pensioners have accused the parastatal’s newly appointed board of delaying Transnet Second Defined Pension Fund (TSDBF) bonus payments to benefit 50,000 pensioners.  

cosatuBusinessLive reports that labour federation Cosatu’s national congress, which starts on Monday, will be the highlight on the political calendar this week.  

mildredoliphantDaily News reports that on Monday the Minister of Labour, Mildred Oliphant, will officially launch a R22 million training project aimed at creating employment in the aviation, maritime commercial diving and agricultural sectors.  

cosatuBusinessLive reports that Cosatu affiliates want its constitution to be amended to include a clause holding unions liable for outstanding subscriptions to the labour federation.  

hawksNews24 reports that various authorities, including the Hawks, on Saturday bust seven alleged illegal miners in Ellerton at a rehabilitated mine in the Hlaniki village in Limpopo.  

SaftuCity Press reports that the incumbent labour constituency at the National Economic Development and Labour Council (Nedlac) managed to block new union federation Saftu from joining the body last year – but the excuse it used will fall away in April.  

cosatuCity Press reports that labour federation Cosatu has continued to bleed members and cannot get a handle on major affiliated unions that have become embarrassingly dysfunctional.  

sabcNews24 reports that the SA Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) has hit out at Ace Magashule after the ANC general secretary said the party would not allow retrenchments at the parastatal, reminding him that the public broadcaster controlled its own affairs.  

Michael MasuthuNews24 reports that Minister of Justice and Correctional Services Michael Masutha will not challenge the shutting down of his headquarters at Poyntons Building in Pretoria because he is confident it will be found to be fully compliant with regulatory safety requirements.  

sabcANA reports that SA Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) Group CEO Madoda Mxakwe on Friday highlighted the public broadcaster’s “dire financial state” to staff, saying the SABC had had a “demanding financial year”  

Solidarity2Fin24 reports that the South Gauteng High Court on Friday ruled against a decision by Nedlac to refuse an application by trade union Solidarity for all its 180,000 members to take protest action countrywide in protest against a black economic empowerment share scheme impacting some of its members at Sasol.  

news shutterstockIn our afternoon roundup, see summaries
of our selection of South African labour-
related stories that appeared thus far on
Thursday, 13 September 2018.

eskomEWN reports that according to Public Enterprises Minister Pravin Gordhan, Eskom is investigating a number of cases of violence and intimidation that took place during the recent lengthy Eskom wage dispute, including bomb threats and “acts of outright sabotage”.  

SaftuNews24 reports that the SA Federation of Trade Unions (Saftu) plans to sue those who knew that the Bank of Lisbon building was non-compliant with safety requirements prior to last week's deadly blaze.  

ehrenreichTimeslive reports that the SA Human Rights Commission (SAHRC) has ordered labour federation Cosatu's former Western Cape leader Tony Ehrenreich to apologise in writing for offensive comments he made on social media.  

prasaNews24Wire reports that the Passenger Rail Agency of SA (Prasa) says it is fully committed to its part in the establishment of a special Rail Enforcement Unit, pledging to pay its R16m contribution towards the deployment of an additional 100 officers.  

sidumodlaminiSowetanLive writes that Cosatu president S'dumo Dlamini apparently still harbours ambitions of clinging on to power after serving two terms at the helm of the labour federation.  Dlamini has apparently been lobbying some affiliates behind closed doors to nominate him to contest for the position.  

concourtThe Citizen reports that the Constitutional Court (ConCourt) has ordered the reinstatement of nine Duncanmec workers after they were dismissed for singing struggle songs referring to “Boers” during a strike that was found to be reasonable.  

tshwane thumb100 ANA reports that Justice Minister Michael Masutha says he will go to court to challenge Tshwane Mayor Solly Msimanga’s decision to shut down the Poynton Building, which houses the department’s Pretoria headquarters, for safety reasons.  

DenelCape Argus reports that management at the Rheinmetall Denel Munition (RDM) factory in Macassar has made ex gratia payments to the victim of families who lost their lives in an explosion at the facility.  

cosatuThe Star reports that Cosatu has lost more than 317,000 members in the past three years and its affiliates are defying the organisation’s leadership in the face of deep internal fights over money for subscriptions.  

chickensBusinessLive reports that strong support was expressed by lobby groups and nongovernmental organisations (NGOs) in Parliament on Wednesday for chicken to be included in the list of zero-rated items.  

gunTimeslive reports that a Gauteng learner pulled a gun on Wednesday at the Eldorado Park Secondary School and threatened to shoot a teacher.