Today's Labour News

newsThis news aggregator site highlights South African labour news from a wide range of internet and print sources. Each posting has a synopsis of the source article, together with a link or reference to the original. Postings cover the range of labour related matters from industrial relations to generalist human resources.

education90The Star reports that accused “sex pest” acting principal of John Martin Catholic School in Kagiso has been placed on precautionary special leave amid the revelation that the educator had a valid teaching certificate when he was appointed.  

There was an outcry last week over the appointment of Motsamai Molete, a former educator from Phahama Secondary School in Mohlakeng, who was dismissed by the Gauteng Department of Education (GDE) after he had sexually assaulted a learner and for improper and disgraceful conduct of a sexual nature towards learners in 2014.  The Education Labour Relations Council (ELRC) upheld his dismissal in 2015.  Following a social media post that went viral, the Catholic Institute of Education put the educator on precautionary special leave while resolving the matter, the GDE confirmed.  The episcopal vicar for schools of the Catholic Archdiocese of Johannesburg, Solly Mphela, said on Saturday that after the GDE and ELRC dismissed Molete, neither body reported the matter to the SA Council of Educators (SACE) nor was he charged criminally.  “In fact, he has a valid SACE teaching certificate,” he pointed out.  The Archdiocese of Johannesburg said that the people who employed Molete at the school had died and clarity could not be obtained as to what procedure was followed in the acting principal’s employment.  “The board was in the process, in late 2020, of initiating disciplinary procedures regarding his failure to disclose the findings against him at the time of his employment. Unfortunately, recently two board members passed away from Covid-19 and another resigned,” Mphela said.  He added that a process for the appointment of a new board was now under way and when a board was in place, due process about Molete’s employment would be implemented.

  • Read the full original of the report in the above regard by Chulumanco Mahamba at The Star


Get other news reports at the SA Labour News home page