Today's Labour News

newsThis news aggregator site highlights South African labour news from a wide range of internet and print sources. Each posting has a synopsis of the source article, together with a link or reference to the original. Postings cover the range of labour related matters from industrial relations to generalist human resources.

arcelormittalTimesLIVE reports that the three workers who were trapped after an explosion at ArcelorMittal SA’s (Amsa’s) premises in Vanderbijlpark, Gauteng, on Wednesday have been confirmed dead.  

According to the National Union of Metalworkers of SA (Numsa), the explosion happened at around 2am.  Numsa regional secretary in Sedibeng, Kabelo Ramokhathali, said:  “The families have been waiting and anxiously hoping that their loved ones would be found alive, but unfortunately that was not to be.”  He thanked the men and women who worked tirelessly to ensure that the bodies were located.  Amsa said on Wednesday that a portion of a 90m stack at one of the operation’s coke batteries failed in the early hours of the morning, and fell onto the coke battery control room in which the three employees had been working.  The company on Thursday confirmed the employees had succumbed to injuries sustained.  CEO Kobus Verster expressed heartfelt condolences and deepest sympathies to the families and colleagues of the deceased and added:  “We are extremely grateful to our own qualified emergency personnel, who arrived on site immediately after the incident occurred and worked through the day and night to complete the recovery operation with the support of local emergency services.”  The company has launched an investigation into the cause of the incident.

  • Read the full original of the report in the above regard by Iavan Pijoos at TimesLIVE
  • Read too, Workers trapped in ArcelorMittal building collapse found dead, at EWN


Get other news reports at the SA Labour News home page