education90At least five general workers at Khensani Primary School in Soshanguve have been asked to stay at home while the investigation into the rape of a grade one learner is underway.

This was indicated by Panyaza Lesufi, Gauteng MEC for education, on Thursday, following a visit to the school after allegations surfaced that a six-year-old girl had been raped last week in the school's toilets. Lesufi said that the five had not been suspended, but asked to stay at home for their own safety following threats against the school and its workers. Four of the individuals are general assistants and the other is a volunteer at the school. Lesufi reported that the volunteer had not reported for work since the incident came to light and that the department had asked law enforcement to follow up on the matter. He revealed that there were still issues that the department wanted to understand. Meanwhile, Action SA on Thursday called on Lesufi to immediately suspend the principal of the school. It also expressed shock to learn that despite reports of an ongoing police investigation, no one had been placed on precautionary suspension pending the outcome of the probe. The political party’s Abel Tau said this only served to further endanger pupils at the school.


Get other news reports at the SA Labour News home page