Today's Labour News

newsThis news aggregator site highlights South African labour news from a wide range of internet and print sources. Each posting has a synopsis of the source article, together with a link or reference to the original. Postings cover the range of labour related matters from industrial relations to generalist human resources.

iloBL Premium reports that the SA cabinet has officially withdrawn its support for businessperson and labour guru Mthunzi Mdwaba’s bid to lead the International Labour Organisation (ILO).

In a document, which Business Day has seen, the AU said it “[welcomed] the decision of the Republic of SA to withdraw its candidate in order for Africa to move ahead with one candidate in a clear demonstration of Pan-Africanism and African Solidarity”. The government has yet to provide reasons for the withdrawal. In the document, the AU committed to “fully support Mr Gilbert Houngbo [of Togo] as the only African candidate for the post of director-general of the ILO”. The AU had previously endorsed both Houngbo and Mdwaba for the position. The decision to support Houngbo as the only African candidate is due to be taken by the AU’s executive council during its sessions to be held in Addis Ababa on 14 and 15 October. Mdwaba’s campaign team said on Tuesday it had not received any "formal notification from government on the disappointing withdrawal of support". Besides the AU, Mdwaba's candidacy had been endorsed by the Sadc tripartite bloc (governments, trade unions and employers), the Southern African Trade Union Co-ordination Council (Satucc), Cosatu, Fedusa, Nactu and the SA government, among others.

  • Read the full original of the report in the above regard by Luyolo Mkentane at BusinessLive (subscriber access only)


Get other news reports at the SA Labour News home page