Today's Labour News

newsThis news aggregator site highlights South African labour news from a wide range of internet and print sources. Each posting has a synopsis of the source article, together with a link or reference to the original. Postings cover the range of labour related matters from industrial relations to generalist human resources.

news shutterstockIn our Friday morning roundup, see
summaries of our selection of South African
labour-related reports.


TOP READ

Length of time workers in SA stay in their jobs, with longest tenure in telecommunications

BusinessTech reports that Pnet has published its latest Job Market Trends Report, which points out that long-term employee tenure enhances productivity, stability, and expertise and helps foster a reliable and experienced workforce. That said, long-standing employees may resist change and become complacent, whereas short-term employee tenure introduces fresh ideas, adaptability, and ambition. A balance can optimise organisational success. Pnet’s data shows that average tenure is three years and one month, but this differs across sectors. Business & Management roles, which demand higher expertise and offer better pay, have a long average tenure (4 years and 10 months).   Telecommunication, however, tops the charts at 5 years and 2 months, followed by Marketing (4 years and 11 months). At a more granular level, middle management tend to stay in their roles for longer than executives. On the other end of the scale, job roles that have short employee tenures include those in science and technology. Admin, Office & Support roles show potential for very long-tenure of up to nine years. The analysis, based on the last five years, highlights the most actively job-seeking employees. It found that 16% of finance professionals applied for jobs within the first six months of having started a new job (13% for information technology professionals).   On a job role level, 23% of payroll & wages professionals keep applying for jobs despite just starting a new job, followed by staff recruitment & selection professionals (18%). On the other end of the scale, the sectors with the lowest percentages of professionals searching for and applying for jobs within the first six months include transportation (4%) and restaurant & hospitality (2%). Notably, taxi drivers and chauffeurs have the lowest chance of looking for a new job in the first six months of starting a new job:

Read the full original of this interesting report in the above regard by Luke Fraser at BusinessTech


SAFETY & SECURITY

SANDF confirms that soldier was killed in line of duty in DRC on 30 May

IOL News reports that the SA National Defence Force (SANDF) has confirmed that one of its soldiers was killed on 30 May while on duty in Sake in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). Sergeant Mbulelo David Ngubane, 39, was killed following contact between M23 and SADC forces. Sergeant Ngubane, who was an Operational Medical Practitioner in the SA Military Health Service (SAMHS), was shot and killed when the ambulance in which he was tending to injured members was attacked. “The vehicle was clearly marked with large medical symbols on both sides and on top, depicting a medical vehicle. This unfortunate incident occurred even though the Geneva Convention on Law of Armed Conflict (LOAC) clearly stipulates categories of protected persons and objects like medical personnel, medical transport in particular and other establishment of this nature during an armed conflict.   This act goes against established international norms in the conduct of armed conflict,” the defence force said.   The details of the memorial service and the funeral will be communicated in due course. In April, President Cyril Ramaphosa announced that the deployment of the almost 1,400 soldiers in Mozambique and the DRC had been extended until December 2024 and March 2025, respectively.

Read the full original of the report in the above regard by Robin-Lee Francke at IOL News

KZN cop survives hail of bullets in battle with cash-in-transit robbers on N2 highway

The Citizen reports that a SA Police Services (SAPS) officer survived a hail of bullets in a gun battle with cash-in-transit robbers in KwaZulu-Natal (KZN). The shootout happened on the N2 Highway northbound, just before the KwaMashu Highway off-ramp on Thursday morning. Police spokesperson Colonel Robert Netshiunda said an unknown number of suspects, who were travelling in multiple vehicles and targeting a cash delivery truck, without any notice opened fire on the police officer’s unmarked bakkie which was driving behind the money vehicle. “The police officer, who was on his way to an early operation in Inanda, and wearing his protective gear, tactically returned fire and found his way out of the vehicle and took cover. The officer also managed to stop other motorists who could have become unsuspecting victims of the brazen criminals. The criminals went on to blow the cash delivery truck open and made way with an undisclosed amount of money. The cash in transit security guards were left unharmed, although they were robbed of their three firearms, one of which was a rifle,” Netshiunda reported. Earlier this week, two suspected cash-in-transit robbers were shot dead when they started a gunfight with police in Phoenix in the early hours of Tuesday morning.

Read the full original of the report in the above regard by Faizel Patel at The Citizen. Read too, Four cash-in-transit heist-related incidents between Monday and Thursday rock Durban, at Daily News

Two arrested for allegedly attacking City Power contractor

SABC News reports that two people have been arrested for allegedly attacking a City Power contractor in Alexandra, north of Johannesburg. City Power spokesperson Isaac Mangena says the pair were apprehended after they allegedly attacked one of the technicians and stole equipment on Tuesday.   He added: “Unfortunately the equipment that was stolen was not recovered, but the police are on a trail. I think we should also extend gratitude to the residents that assisted the police in the arrest of these two. We are hoping that those criminals that did this and that stole our cables, joints and tool boxes, are arrested and brought to book and taught a lesson – municipal and government workers are not be attacked, as they are there to provide services to the residents that need it so much.”

Read the original of the short report in the above regard by Horisani Sithole at SABC News

Other internet posting(s) in this news category

  • Durban community policing groups undeterred by three members' murders, at TimesLIVE


MINING REPORTS

Sibanye to engage with Kroondal employees following end of illegal sit-in over share option payments

Mining Weekly reports that precious metals producer Sibanye-Stillwater says it will engage with employees and representative unions at its Kroondal mine in accordance with existing, standard processes and mechanisms now that an illegal underground sit-in by employees at the Kwezi shaft has come to an end. All protesting employees had exited the Kwezi shaft and returned to surface by mid-afternoon on Wednesday. More than 200 employees embarked on the sit-in on 3 June. Reportedly, the employees were aggrieved to not have received employee share option payments. But according to the company, Kroondal employees had not yet qualified for those payments. "The company will not condone Illegal actions by any stakeholders which may compromise the safety and wellbeing of employees or the sustainability of our operations and we appeal to employees to use the established grievance mechanisms or their union representatives to address any issues or concerns," the Sibanye pointed out.

Read the original of the short report in the above regard at Mining Weekly

NUM concludes five-year wage agreement with South32's Hotazel Manganese Mines

Mining Weekly reports that the National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) Kimberley Region has concluded and signed a five-year wage agreement on behalf of its members at diversified mining and metals company South32’s Hotazel Manganese Mines in the Northern Cape. According to the union, the parties agreed to the harmonisation of B-Lower level employees, effective from 1 June. B-Band employees will receive a wage increase of 7% in year one of the agreement, a 6.5% increase in year two and 6% in years three, four and five. C-Band employees will receive a 6.5% increase in year one, 6.2% in year two and 5.7% in years three, four and five. The agreement also includes increases in medical aid benefits, as well as underground and housing allowances. “As the NUM Kimberley Region, we are very much delighted to have this agreement reached within the stipulated negotiations time. This agreement has been achieved without facilitation processes," NUM Kimberley regional secretary Mosepedi Sanane commented.

Read the original of the short report in the above regard at Mining Weekly

Clock is ticking on Duncan Wanblad’s Anglo American restructuring plans

Financial Mail writes that the clock is ticking on Anglo American CEO Duncan Wanblad’s radical restructuring plan. Having promised to simplify the 107-year-old group in as little as 18 months, he must do so amid a complexity not dissimilar to BHP’s recent takeover bid, which was finally rebuffed on 29 May.   But, BHP could yet return for Anglo at a later stage, along with new, rival bidders – especially if Wanblad fails to deliver. The most daunting part of his plan is the sale of De Beers. The unbundling of its platinum business, Anglo American Platinum, for value, will be no walk in the park either, even with a possible London listing. Both transactions are complicated by the dramatic outcome of the SA national election.   Asked about how an uneasily assembled coalition or government of national unity could influence the regulatory procedure of Anglo’s SA divestments, Wanblad commented: “If there are any massive changes, we will have to adapt. We will rely on the institution of government to move it forward.” In truth, Wanblad doesn’t know what to expect. Gwede Mantashe, an ANC heavyweight who has a side hustle as the country’s mineral resources & energy minister, previously defended Anglo’s rejection of BHP’s proposal. While the direction of the minister’s alliances are difficult to predict, Wanblad says he trusts that the government recognises Anglo’s relevance to the national cause. What’s certainly clear from BHP’s offer is that mining companies are choosing buying over building new mines.

Read the full original of the report in the above regard by David McKay at Financial Mail (subscriber access only)


REMUNERATION

Newly-elected MPs will be earning more than R100,000 a month

BL Premium reports that MPs heading to parliament can look forward to an annual salary of R1.27m or over R100,000 a month.   The previous annual salary for MPs was R1.24m.   President Cyril Ramaphosa has gazetted the salary increases for public office bearers for 2023/24 and 2024/25. An increase of 2.5% across the board has been approved, significantly lower than the 5.1% forecast by the Reserve Bank for 2024. The deputy president will earn R3.164m, ministers R2.69m and deputy ministers R2.2m. The gazette does not deal with Ramaphosa’s salary, which is more than R4m. The speaker of the National Assembly and the chair of the National Council of Provinces (NCOP) will each earn R3.164m.   The leader of the main opposition party will get R1.748m and the head of a minority party R1.507m. Premiers will earn R2.53m, members of executive councils R2.215m and members of provincial legislatures R1.23m. The MPs will be sworn in at the first sitting of the assembly, the date of which has yet to be gazetted. At the first sitting the president will be elected. The lists of members designated to the nine provincial legislatures will be handed to the designated judges president who will preside over the first sittings of the respective legislatures. The list of new members to be delegated to the NCOP will be determined at the first sitting of each provincial legislature.

Read the full original of the report in the above regard by Linda Ensor at BusinessLive (subscriber access only). Read too, Ramaphosa approves salary hikes for ministers, MPs and premiers, at BusinessTech


ALLEGED CORRUPTION / CRIME

Bomb squad investigators ‘seen’ putting money into a bag after bombing incident granted bail

TimesLIVE reports that three police officers who were allegedly seen bagging money after a bombing incident at a filling station in Soshanguve in April appeared in court on Thursday to face charges of theft and defeating the ends of justice. The three, aged 47, 33 and 37, are bomb squad investigators stationed at the explosives section in Colbyn, Pretoria, and were arrested by the Hawks on Thursday morning. "The trio was allegedly seen on CCTV surveillance footage purportedly putting notes and coins into a bag," Hawks spokesperson Col Katlego Mogale indicated.   One of the suspects was seen taking the bag to their state vehicle before they left the scene. An investigation revealed that the money from the bag was never handed in as evidence. The officers were granted R3,000 bail each and will appear again in the Pretoria North Magistrate's Court on 7 August.

Read the original of the short report in the above regard at TimesLIVE

Decomposed body found at nature reserve believed to be missing City of Cape Town staffer implicated in fraud

News24 reports that a decomposed body found at Silvermine Nature Reserve on Tuesday is believed to be that of Alistair Stanbull, a City of Cape Town staffer. He has been missing since 29 April. Police said they could not reveal the man's identity, because DNA testing would need to be done, but sources close to the investigation confirmed the body was that of Stanbull. At the time of his disappearance, Stanbull told his wife that he was going on a hike.   He left his premises in Steenberg, but never returned. His vehicle was found on Ou Kaapse Weg. Stanbull, who worked for the City's human settlements directorate, was implicated in a R2.5 million fraud case. He was arrested, along with another colleague, in November 2022 and was later released on R10,000 bail. At the time, the State alleged that employees of a company, as well as the directors, supplied false invoices to the City and allegedly misrepresented some of the work they had charged for as having been finalised. Stanbull allegedly allowed the invoices to be authorised, even though he knew the work had not been completed. The MMC for human settlements, Carl Pophaim, said:   "While suspicion is rife, I await a report from the SAPS forensics to confirm the identity. It is certainly my prayer that it is not a City official, and my thoughts and prayers are with the family of Mr Stanbull at this time.”

Read the full original of the report in the above regard by Marvin Charles & Lisalee Solomons at News24. Read too, Body found at Silvermine Nature Reserve could be that of missing City staffer Alistair Stanbull, at Cape Argus

Mpumalanga Hawks sergeant in R6,000 bribery charge linked to wildlife poaching

City Press reports that a Directorate for Priority Crime Investigation (Hawks) sergeant, who is facing charges of corruption, defeating the ends of justice and fraud, was released on bail by the Nelspruit District Court in Mpumalanga on Tuesday. The case was postponed to 27 June 2024. Kgaugelo Aubrey Mogale (47) was arrested following a financial investigation by the auditing firm KPMG as part of the Project Blood Orange probe, a law enforcement mission to tackle wildlife trafficking, including rhino poaching. It was discovered that Mogale, one of the team members involved in the investigation, allegedly received R6,000, which was deposited by the main suspect in the case into his account over time. According to the police, an internal investigation was conducted, which also established that the member did not disclose receipt of the money. Asked what the bribe was for, provincial Hawks spokesperson Captain Dineo Sekgotodi said they could not disclose operational information. But, she did indicate: “The explanation we have now is that [Mogale] claims that one of the accused owed him money and that the money paid into his account was a repayment of this loan.” The provincial head of the Hawks, Major General Nicholas Gerber, said he was deeply concerned that a member of the police elite unit had been arrested on such serious charges.

Read the full original of the report in the above regard by Sipho Mabena at City Press (subscriber access only)


COMMUTING

Gautrain insists service is still strong despite recent disruptions

City Press writes that for commuters who use the Gautrain and get SMS updates about disruptions and delays, it might look like the service has taken a knock. But Gautrain insists that its overall performance remains strong. On Tuesday, passengers on the North-South line were stranded for more than an hour due to a track circuit problem.   Kesagee Nayager, spokesperson for Gautrain, confirmed the technical issue that had led to significant delays.   Commuters expressed their dissatisfaction on social media with the service. @TheGautrain posted: “Can you please match your prices with your services. Its been delays almost every second week in a row now, it is freezing cold, but your buses don't have working heaters. Haibo can you at least be considerate to your clients.” Despite the absence of load shedding, Gautrain has experienced significant disruptions in recent months, including two incidents in April.   According to Nayager on 22 April, two technical problems occurred. Another incident occurred four days later on 26 April. Nayager emphasised that alternative transportation was always provided during incidents and technicians worked swiftly to resolve issues. Despite recent problems, she highlighted that Gautrain's overall performance remained strong. On 22 April, 11 out of 257 trains were delayed, with 95.7% of trains running on time. On 26 April, 18 out of 243 trains were delayed, with a 92.6% punctuality rate. For the entire month of April, 99.33% of trains operated on schedule.

Read the full original of the report in the above regard by Sthembiso Lebuso at City Press (subscriber access only)


OTHER REPORTS OF INTEREST

  • Solidariteit Beweging steun veelpartyregering, by Maroela Media
  • Numsa joins Cosatu, SACP and others in condemning ANC-DA coalition, at The Star
  • Bolt skop duisende drywers van platform, by Maroela Media
  • Gen Z managers are complaining about their own generation’s work ethic, at Sunday Tribune
  • South Africa’s petrol price pain and how taxes make it worse, at Daily Investor

 


Get other news reports at the SA Labour News home page