Today's Labour News

newsThis news aggregator site highlights South African labour news from a wide range of internet and print sources. Each posting has a synopsis of the source article, together with a link or reference to the original. Postings cover the range of labour related matters from industrial relations to generalist human resources.

Sibanye StillwaterBL Premium reports that precious metals producer Sibanye-Stillwater is expecting the 231 workers it fired after an illegal underground sit-in to embark on an appeals process this week.

The disgruntled employees staged an underground protest at the miner’s Kroondal mine last week over eligibility for employee share option scheme payments. The company said they did not yet qualify for the schemes. The protest ended last Wednesday with all workers returning to the surface. Sibanye spokesperson James Wellsted indicated: “There were 231 employees involved in the sit-in. What we did, as required by labour regulations, [is that] we asked them to come up, [we] gave them three ultimatums, they did not respond, then we gave them dismissal notices. We also obtained a court interdict [which said the] strike [was] illegal.” The company has said it will not condone illegal actions by any stakeholders that could “compromise the safety and wellbeing of employees or the sustainability of our operations”. National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) president Dan Balepile said the dismissed were members of both NUM and the Association of Mineworkers and Construction Union (Amcu). He advised that NUM would represent all the dismissed workers during their appeals hearing on Tuesday. “We are going to conduct a joint representation of the workers, led by the NUM,” Balepile indicated.

  • Read the full original of the report in the above regard by Luyolo Mkentane at BusinessLive (subscriber access only)


Get other news reports at the SA Labour News home page